Friday, August 4, 2017

Day 0: The night before Going to North Korea

I am a world traveler, not a political pundit. I am aware there are strong and differing views concerning the DPRK. This blog  does not serve to address the political climate but simply to give a perspective of what it is  like to go on a guided tour to North Korea. The views expressed represent what we were told and what the tour entails. The blog is written from the guide's perspective, what they told us and it shows what to expect to see, hear and experience if you ever get to go on such a tour.  By no means is it a reflection of my position on any issue. My only purpose is to travel the four corners of the globe and showcase humanity in their natural environment. I would appreciate a civil discussion if you choose to participate. Having said that I can only write as it really happened. The tour was well executed and they made sure we had a good time.  So please take a chance to see an unedited raw version of the DPRK, yes from a guided tour perspective but it is all one will ever get. At the end of the day, I maintain there are world political leaders distinct from everyday decent good people who all want the same basic things including friendship, good stories and laughter even from foreigners. The everyday Korean person are as friendly as it gets. I am a lover of all humanity, Each man is my brother and each man is my friend even those who seek me harm. Love conquers all. Thanks, Jay 
How I Made the Decision To Go To North Korea (DPRK)

In the summer of 2014, while in Seoul, South Korea at a supermarket, I started a conversation with a backpacker from the U.K. Backpackers are easily identifiable especially in a country like South Korea. During our conversation she mentioned she was just coming from North Korea. Of Course she did not mean she was coming straight from North Korea to South Korea. 

This is not possible. As a Matter of fact the 2.5  miles wide separating the two countries can be crossed in the fastest way by flying to china (beijing) from North Korea and then to seoul, South Korea from Beijing. Covering a distance of over almost 2000 miles. By the time we were done talking, I knew I wanted to go to North Korea one day.

I did go to the DMZ on the South Korean side while on that trip. 

January, 2017 I was planning my a summer adventures and concluded my itinerary frankly looking seemed a bit boring. when you have travelled as extensively as I have, there comes a point when you are in search of some "crazy" adventure or should I say something out of the ordinary and so just like that in February of 2017 I begun the thought process of visiting North Korea. 


No one can visit North Korea on their own, well most people are not able to visit North Korea as they would to other countries. You cannot buy a ticket and go on your own, it has to be through a tour agency. You go on a group tour which is cheaper or a private tour with an agency which is a bit more expensive. There might be an exception to that, I am no expert on North Korea.  

Choosing the right tour company was the challenge for me.  All the tour companies are mostly based in China and all you have to resort  to reviews from their  website to narrow your search. After an extensive search, I narrowed it down to two companies which seemed to be the well reviewed and popular. I eventually chose Young Pioneers Tours Young Pioneers Tours. It turned out to be a great choice, I highly recommend YPT from my personal experience, they do a very good job and has high customer service mindset. (I have no financial affiliation with YPT, just a honest customer giving a honest review)


One of the things I appreciated about YPT and end up choosing them over other tour companies, they had every detailed website that provided me with enough information and made me feel comfortable with my choice. My representative based in China.  would always get back to me with little wait, providing detailed explanations to all my questions and I had many. It was this two aspects that convinced me I was in good hands.  

I might as well include this here. YPT is an excellent company with knowledgeable and friendly  guide. The team is a very chill group and with good flexibility with the schedule goes out of their way to  and make you feel  welcome.  My group went on the Victory Day tour 2017 July 25 to July 31. There were three groups. I was in group B lasting 7 days in the DPRK with 18 of us in the group.
Picture of us at the Palace of the Sun, Pyongyang

Yes carry formal clothes with you on the trip. I can think of two occasions where it was necessary or highly recommended to wear them. So do not do like me and show up with jeans, sneakers, rasta belt and luckily had  a borrowed shirt : )

After filling out a few easy forms and submitting them along with my passport page to YPT. I had to pay some money 2 payments 50% payments or the full 100%. I paid it all in full a total of about 1600 USD of course this would include visa, flight for round trip to china, hotel room for 6 nights (shared) and three meals a day, water, AC bus, and with a few exceptions free admission to most places.  

Not a bad deal and take it from the horse's mouth in the words of the founder of YPT whom I had lengthy conversations with, in his words " we make a small profit but nothing big" so it's not a bad price to pay and the primary goal of this organization I'm fully convince is to give you an experience never to forget. YPT comes highly recommended.

I also had to submit my passport photo. The details were all handles by YPT. Next thing I got a confirmation email saying I'm booked for the Victory day tour 2017. 

Everything was worked out before I left for my summer adventure. I traveled all over europe, India, Nepal Iran and then to china to start my tour. I flew to Beijing on July 24. I do not recommend trying to fly too close to the time of your flight. Flight cancellations and delays are very common in china from my experience.

 YPT will provide you a detailed itinerary of your trip. The via and flight tickets will be given to you at Beijing airport. You can fly to beijing on the 72 hour visa free or get a visa if you intend to stay longer in China. I was told North Korea Officials will also want to see your return ticket out of China if you on transit visa.

My flight to PyongYang was scheduled for Tuesday July 25 at 1:30 pm. I arrived in Beijing airport terminal 2 at 11:45 pm on Monday July 24. I was thinking of getting a hostel for the night or other travellers to hang with out all night in Beijing but i decided to just sleep at the airport. It was hard to get a comfortable place. Beijing airport terminal 2 has lots of activities and no where to lie to catch some sleep. I did find a chair on 3rd floor and spent the night there. I got very little sleep. Basically try to arrive earlier and get a hostel for the night. 


I was a bit nervous going to North Korea. After All, the news we see and hear are not encouraging. I wondered if I had made a mistake. There was no one to reason with about this since I shared my plans with no one not even my family. Maybe this uneasiness contributed to my mental state being unsettled. My heart felt heavy. 

I was going to North Korea a few weeks after the death of the young american Otto Warmbier death. Otto went to North Korea with the same tour group and it all felt weird and made me frankly speaking very scared but my passion for exploration is stronger than fear. I did call YPT earlier that week (which have since cancelled taking Americans to the DPRK) and was reassured everything would be ok. I needed to hear this. I dismissed my thoughts and tried to sleep for there was no way I would cancel this trip not at the 11th hour. 


I did not know what to expect. I  not read or bought the tour itinerary with me. All I knew was the next day I have to meet the group, get my visa and flight ticket and some other documents. I was eager to meet the other people in the group thinking it would feel better to have other people doing something like this, tagging along with me. people I knew who also felt nervous and in that same state it makes it less troubling to have other people going through the same emotions as you.

I tied to catch some sleep knowing tomorrow would  an interesting day in my life. The day I would go to North Korea, July 25th, 2017. I will never forget that day and the events that ensued.


For tonight, I'll try to get some sleep and only if my beautiful chinese friends would tone it down, hmm wishful thinking haha


Goodnight










No comments:

Post a Comment